Support for Citizen Monitoring / What's Going On?
Uwazi is interested to collaborate with entrepreneurial individuals or organizations who are able to monitor. Uwazi’s core interests are in monitoring related to health, water, education, the budget and the business environment. Yet proposals to collect information in other areas will equally be considered.
Those with innovative ideas are encouraged to discuss them with Uwazi. If an idea is realistic and feasible, Uwazi will consider purchasing the data for a period not exceeding one year.
People interested in this opportunity are encouraged to first read this note before approaching Uwazi.
To date Uwazi has supported efforts to monitor:
- Congestion in Dar es Salaam
- Road blocks on major highways
- Video reporting on civil servants' work
- Provision of capitation grants
- Quality of primary schools
- Price of water in Dar es Salaam
Monitoring could be done using a short questionnaire and visits, by taking pictures, by doing phone interviews or otherwise. If you are interested to be a citizen contact Uwazi by sending an email to email@example.com. In your email briefly outline how you would like to go about monitoring. Those selected will receive financial support covering expenses and technical backstopping by Uwazi.
If you want to monitor an area of your own interest ...
If you have a topic that you believe is worth monitoring which is not mentioned above, you may want to propose it to Uwazi. You can do so by by submitting a brief proposal (max 1,000 words). The proposal should comprise:
- A description of the information that will be collected (what variables and with what frequency).
- A description of how the data will be collected (what approach is used; is the data reliable and what do they represent?)
- An estimate of the cost of collecting the data
Proposals that monitor aspects of health, water, education or the budget process are particularly encouraged.
Proposals should be sent by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put what's going on in the subject header.